Recently, I was craving some coconut rice. If you’ve never had it, you’re missing out. It’s a little sweet and buttery at the same time. It really is a simple pleasure.
I went to pick up a can of coconut milk after work and was trying to think of something to go along with it. I got the milk and happened to see some jars of curry simmer sauce.
Chicken curry it was.
I was a little tired, and I thought about just grabbing a jar and getting out of there. However, something told me that I could probably make a sauce without much trouble. I turned the jar around and looked at the list of ingredients. I glanced at a few other jars.
I was right. Other than turmeric, my spice cabinet (yeah cabinet, not rack. I have a problem…) contained everything necessary. Besides that, I just needed some ginger, tomato paste and a pepper.
I based my dish off this recipe from Savory Lotus. I did make some changes to it based on my tastes and what I had on hand, though. For some heat, I added a jalapeño and some cayenne to the recipe. I also used an heirloom tomato.
In general, tomatoes at most grocery stores are pretty bland. However, heirloom tomatoes (those are the ugly ones that are crimped at the top) actually taste like…well…tomatoes. I try to use them whenever I can. I also added some tomato paste for a little extra flavor and some texture.
For Coconut Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For Chicken Curry
- 1-2 pounds chicken breast (cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut paste (solid stuff from coconut milk can)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, mixed with 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Pour Rice into pot with coconut milk, water, sugar and salt.
- Bring pot to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Put lid on pot and simmer rice for about 45 minutes.
- Remove lid, fluff rice with fork and serve.
- For curry sauce: Put all ingredients except for chicken and oil into a food processor or high quality blender and pulse to desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour oil into medium saucepan (with lid) and turn heat to medium. Add chicken and cook until slightly browned.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add curry sauce to saucepan. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon chicken over bed of coconut rice!